Earn Your right to be heard, or to lead.
hmm, THOUGHT SPOT: I don’t completely agree with the “asking” comment. I think it is healthy to ask for what you’d like and review that ideas on how to get it. Although, of course, leaders like these men have many great lessons to share. What do you all think?
Check out what Seth Godin says:
“In most situations, I’d argue, you earn the right to be heard. If there’s a sick person on the plane, the doctor in 3b has the right to speak up, the hysterical person behind her does not.”
“So, here’s a quick list of a few ways to earn that right:
- Be informed
- Be rational
- Pay your dues
- Have a platform where a lot of people can hear you
- Be an impacted constituent, not a gadfly
- Represent a tribe of people with similar concerns
- You’ve been right before
- You’re not anonymous
- You have a previous relationship and permission to interrupt
- Listening to you earns something of value”